Reply to post: Re: Windows 1.0 would run on 256KB of RAM and a pair of floppy drives

Bloated middle age beckons: Windows 1.0 turns 35 and is dealing with its mid-life crisis, just about

bombastic bob Silver badge
Linux

Re: Windows 1.0 would run on 256KB of RAM and a pair of floppy drives

Linux hardware requirements these days are not too dissimilar from those requirements

NOT true... I run Linux on older hardware quite a bit, actually. I still have an old Laptop (from 2003-ish) that has Linux on it, an older debian release, that I used for consulting a year and a half ago when I needed a Linux box and they didn't have one available for me. All I needed was ssh and some file and network utilities to talk to a couple of RPi devices, but windows is _SO_ pathetic for that, so I used a 2003-ish laptop with only 512Mb of RAM and a relatively TINY hard drive as a PRODUCTIVITY booster.

A week later they handed me a year-old CPU box that I took home and put Linux on, overnight. No problems since.

Now I _WILL_ admit that *GLUTTONOUS* *PIG* applications like Chromium and Firefox [which manage memory about as well as an alcoholic manages booze] won't run very well on that old laptop, since they're so "modern" and all, but pretty much everything ELSE [including gimp] seem to work JUST FINE on a system with less than 1Gb of RAM, running X on a 1024x768 laptop screen, with a debian release that barely pre-dates its inclusion of systemd.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon