Reply to post: Re: Eggs and baskets

HTTPS-only mode arrives in Firefox 83 as Mozilla finds new home for Rust-y Servo engine

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Eggs and baskets

> Comparing a Cloudflare $20 plan with Akamai (at least $1k per month, likely $50k) is quite optimistic

I wasn't referring to Akamai there. Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the CDN market is huge, with a huge range of options open.

You're right that Akamai is more at the enterprise end, so isn't going to be a great choice on a budget of $20.

You've mentioned Fastly, there's also maxcdn, edgecast (though they were bought by Verizon), as well as middle-man providers like SpaceCDN.

There's an entire world of choice out there, some are going to be better (performance wise) in certain markets, others fare well. Bear in mind though, that there's more to comparison that just the price - some might cost a little more, but be better value because the offering is a better fit for your needs.

Course, Cloudflare might be the best fit for you. But I really was surprised at just how poor their offering was in terms of features and management (and no, saying "we've got a fantastic API" doesn't really cut it, that's great, but I shouldn't have to mitigate a crap UI by building my own tools to use your API).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon