Reply to post: Re: Lunar astronomy is the way to go

Behold, the Ultimately Large Telescope: A revived proposal for a 100-metre liquid-mirror star scanner on the Moon

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Lunar astronomy is the way to go

"And how do you suggest to keep using those telescopes when the sky is literally covered with sheets of satellites?"

No so long ago, earthbound optical astronomy was thought to be at it's limit due to perturbations in the atmosphere and space telescopes were the only possible future. Then some bright spark, using clever engineering, servos, feedback and massive computational power found they could create earthbound telescope to match or exceed anything we could launch into space. Clearly, someone will do the same to exclude passing objects rendering them "invisible" to the telescopes (assuming they've not already done so at least at a preliminary level). The technique is simple. Automating it and doing it in real time may just need better algorithms and more CPU/GPU. After all, with my first 640x480 digital camera and a tripod, I took multiple images of a road, layered them in GIMP and "scraped through" the bits with cars on till I found tarmac n layers down to end up with a photo of an empty road. Shortly afterwards, I found there was software capable of doing that for me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon