Reply to post: Re: Eggs and baskets

HTTPS-only mode arrives in Firefox 83 as Mozilla finds new home for Rust-y Servo engine

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Eggs and baskets

> If you want to just "try" them, unless you shell out for a Business sub, you're going to have an issue

> but then you can get that with the likes of Akamai and other CDN providers with far fewer trade-offs.

> TBH, unless you're going to be using the "free" account, I'd skip them - even their $20/mo offering doesn't stack up against the competition.

I'd be interested to see someone just casually try out Akamai. Fill out a form, spammed by enterprise sales to gauge how much to charge, sign NDA, a week later you're up and running and then need to contact your account manager to change a settings. Comparing a Cloudflare $20 plan with Akamai (at least $1k per month, likely $50k) is quite optimistic. Akamai is not an option for anyone but enterprise.

As a Cloudflare user for various projects I'm always interested in checking out the competition at the $20/mo level so please elaborate! I have used Fastly in the past but bandwidth quickly became incredibly expensive. Again I'd certainly not put them in the small business bracket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon