Reply to post: What would be useful ..

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson pledges £12bn green economy package

tiggity Silver badge

What would be useful ..

I'm lucky enough to live in a house with half of the roof south facing.

Also fortunate in having a garden.

Would love solar panels & heat pump in garden .. but I cannot afford it *as large outlay and takes a long time for returns to work through, not viable when you live hand to mouth)

If government provided that for free (& similar for other people in same position) then would help with CO2 emissions a lot & reduce the strain on the grid

Lets address car use, I live in the sticks (hence luxury of a garden).

If there was free and frequent public transport (electric for CO2 saving) & a good public transport network I would not need my car

However instead there is very expensive, infrequent public transport & a dismal network, so I and many others are forced to have CO2 emitting cars, so *proper* public transport would be a huge green success.

I live in an area with rivers a plenty but none of them have any run of river generating plants (compare with Scotland where they are doing a great job of adding small power generators on rivers, getting green power and its relatively reliable) - obviously river flow varies, but unless ludicrous drought scenarios causing river dry up, always know what worst case minimum power generation will be, and also good flows in Winter where (in UK) lots of leccy demand as cold & dark a lot. So small river hydro deploys would be a good green move, especially in low population area as depending on the river flow and drop could supply anything from a few hundred to a few thousand homes with leccy

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon