Reply to post: Entertainment and vehicle info share NVRAM?

Worn-out NAND flash blamed for Tesla vehicle gremlins, such as rearview cam failures and silenced audio alerts

Man inna barrel

Entertainment and vehicle info share NVRAM?

Others have mentioned this, but I think it bad that vehicle sensors etc. could malfunction due to NVRAM wearing out in the entertainment system. I have heard of something like this before, where entertainment and vehicle sensors and control share a vehicle-wide bus. The entertainment system then provides a point of entry for various hacks.

I presume this is all about saving costs, as it is cheaper to make one processor do multiple tasks, rather than have separate processing centers for different tasks. The common communication bus saves on vehicle wiring. A single LCD can display infotainment data and vehicle data (don't know if Tesla do that).

As far as processors are concerned, 32 bit microcontrollers are cheap these days. We are talking about a few quid in modest quantities. A custom LCD is more costly. The shared bus could be fairly secure, if everything connected to it treats it as an untrusted resource, like the Internet. Just speculating here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon