Reply to post: Re: Once bitten

KDE maintainers speak on why it is worth looking beyond GNOME

Anonymous Coward
Facepalm

Re: Once bitten

Really properly trying KDE and deciding to stick with it would take me AT LEAST a solid week. Probably more like 2-3 months. Months where my productivity is lowered because my workflow has changed because I'm using an unfamiliar desktop, figuring out the foibles, etc. And it's quite possible that going back to my already-more-than-adequate desktop if I don't like KDE might be nontrivial.

If you want to send me a new laptop loaded with the latest KDE, and pay the difference for any lost productivity, I'll be happy to evaluate it for you and do a comprehensive report (at no charge!) of what I think. I'll even send the laptop back when I'm done if you pay the return shipping. But if it's all just unconfigurable eye-candy that saps my memory and processor power, you might not like the write-up.

On the other hand, it takes 5 minutes to write a rant about how it used to be good, and then it wasn't, and so now you're going to have to incentivise me to bring me back. That's what I do in my free time, while enjoying my morning coffee. Ranting is enjoyable to me. Changing my desktop environment is a (huge) chore.

It's nice to hear about how I have "outdated/erroneous concepts". Like wanting to get stuff done. With zero examples or counterpoints of how I'm wrong. Come on :-O

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon