Reply to post: Re: Glad we've moved on so much in the last 50 years

Panic in the mailroom: The perils of an operating system too smart for its own good

juice

Re: Glad we've moved on so much in the last 50 years

> Years ago the NI Civil Service paid far too much for some salaries (subsequently clawed back to everyone's disappointment).

Back when working for an ex-public company, I had the joys of filling in an expense claim for overtime.

There were different payment levels, depending on how long the overtime had been. E.g. 3 hours = £30, 6 hours = £200, etc.

And it was all phrased in a way which looked to me like you were meant to record the number of hours you'd worked.

Which had been a lot.

And so, I duly filled the claim in, got it approved by my manager, and sent it off.

The next payday, it was a bit of a surprise to discover that I'd been given several times more than my usual monthly salary.

Because, it turned out, you were meant to record the number of "units" of overtime, not the number of hours. And so I'd accidentally claimed about a year's worth of overtime in a single pass...

I stil occasionally ponder what would have happened if I hadn't 'fessed up and given the money back. After all, it had all been signed off!

Either way, the next time it came to claim overtime, I read the instructions far more carefully ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon