Reply to post: UHD Playback

Intel's SGX cloud-server security defeated by $30 chip, electrical shenanigans

Sampler

UHD Playback

If SGX is proven to be smashed, does this mean we can drop the requirement for UHD playback limiting PC users being able to watch 4k discs they legally own on a pc other than one with an Intel CPU made in the last five years (especially given AMD's are rather fashionable at the moment).

Speaking as someone who's desktop is AMD, spare desktop is AMD, HTPC is intel (but a NUC that's older than Skylake) and neither laptop in the house supports it too. Only my NAS with it's little i3 that I built last year can actually playback the UHD's I have (thank god the drive's USB so I could actually test it in all these machines).

It absolutely stinks from a customer perspective. I can't watch the discs I legally own unless I'm huddled under the stairs with my NAS box but I could easily go online and download a myriad of rips of these discs.

That said, out of the two I own I only bought one. Alien I won in a competition and Die Hard is so full of noise from the transfer on the anniversary steel tin I bought that my old DVD looks better anyway. But, as a massively film nerd with a 4k projector, I would buy more of these things if I could bloody well play them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon