Reply to post: Confluence

Tim Berners-Lee asks everyone to do new biz a Solid and let him have another crack at fixing the Web's privacy

bigtreeman

Confluence

I have talked about this concept since the 90s. The network is the meeting place, not corporate servers.

The "pod" gets built into a users gateway/router as a small, secure web server. Young people use phones theses days (so I'm led to believe).

Everyone with internet or a phone gets a personal domain name. Now everyone can be contacted by their name/address.

No more anonymity, get over it, just behave yourselves, be real !

Instead of a user filling in forms on each and every service/company they interact with,

they fill in their data in their own "pod" then allow access to each service/company.

Now the user only has to update their personal data once and all services/companies get access to current data.

The publication of this data gives the owner legal rights and ability to restrict access.

I can do this today by forwarding my router internal ports 80 and 443 to my pc and setting up a fairly simple web server.

But security wise it would be more sensible to have the router or a small, secure IoT server on the local network doing the work.

I have a Rock64 setup at present doing just that.

The main resistance will be companies "ownership" of peoples personal data, which they make a lot of money from.

This will eventually kill Facebook, Google, Amazon, Oracle, clouds, ISPs, and will empower individuals.

A level playing field. A cloud is just a mass of equal water particles in the air, so I guess it will become a real cloud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon