Reply to post:

Apple cracks down on iOS terminal apps because they can download code

K

What's your point?

Virtually all Apple products are designed for "consumers", this is clear from the fact, they don't offer a suite of remote management tools (Which is a missed revenue oportunity), and every new release seems to focus on individual security, and tighten/reduce the ability to manage them in a corporate environment.

As an IT Manager, I initially refused to allow Mac's on the network because of this. But times are changing and we have to adapt. Companies are competing for "Talent" and one of the enticements for attracting talent is to give the new employee the choice of devices, i.e. Android or Apple phone and Windows Ultrabook or Macbook Pro computer.

I will say this, I've recently experienced this from an end-user perspective. I started a new role as a NetSec Manager, and was issued a top-end Lenovo Laptop (i7, 32GB RAM etc). But the base-image had been loaded up with 15+ different agents that made it unusable (CPU averaging 52% utilisation, fans blaring).

Then they offered me a Macbook Pro - Which I'm ashamed to say, runs like a dream, simply because the ability to "lock it down" is extremely limited even with JAMF, and the number of agents available for it, is also limited. Personally, I'd preferred a Linux based laptop, but I'll stick with this for now.

To be fair to my employer, the user-device team recognise things are out of control, and they are trying to strip it back to basics..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon