Reply to post: Re: Aimless Anglos

With less than two months left, let's check in on Brexit: All IT systems are up and running and ready to go, says no one

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Aimless Anglos

It really takes a snowflake level of exceptionalist attitude

Ah, the personal insults, a clear sign of a total lack of factual arguments.

paltry share of global GDP

2.4% isn't that paltry, but is completely irrelevant to the issue.

anything more than a bug to be squashed by other countries.

Nice way to think, you consider that countries who want more freedom in their own political and economic decisions should be squashed like a bug? You're not a pal of Trump, by any chance? Sounds more like his way of thinking.

Empire 2.0?

The only demonstration of empire-building here is coming from the EU. The UK has long rid itself of its empire, and doesn't want to be part of a failing European one.

You can wait until the end of time, reassuring yourself that the benefits are just around the corner, but they aren’t. Brexit has no upside. It’s just a disaster from here on out.

Well, after 30 years of living elsewhere in the EU (and in the process of organizing my return to the UK) I have a different view. When you look at the pitiful growth in the eurozone which staggers from crisis to crisis, the appalling unemployment in many EU countries, and the ever-increasing protectionist control being imposed in the name of "Fortress Europe", the EU is no place to be. Maybe the UK can make a better go of things outside, maybe not, but I certainly prefer to see it try. Brexit is an opportunity, and like any opportunities it comes with risks and rewards. To me that's preferable to sitting in one's comfort zone, doing what one is told, but each to his or her own.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon