Reply to post:

US govt ups minimum H-1B tech salaries to $208,000 a year, more than startups can hope to afford, say VCs

sigATfig

I've 2 engineering degrees and have worked in IT for 30 years. I've been laid off 6 times. h1bvisa program has been skammed to the max. Its all about cheap labor and a way for corps to layoff citizens that they pay benefits too, and hire cheap foreign contract workers that dont even know what they are doing.

I've worked with many visa holders, i've been involved in hiring them at various corps. Overall they are just AVG...most need to be trained on the job...very very very few are anything exception.

If you want YOUR KIDS and YOUR GRANDKIDS to have jobs, be able to afford skool, get married and have children, buy a house, then you should be against all these work visa programs. Visa workers send a lot of $$$ back home instead of investing it in team usa. You cant blame them for wanting to leave their junk countries and come here and enjoy what AMERIKANS have built. But its long past time to put our own families, friends, relatives. neigbhors FIRST so they dont end up on government support because corps refuse to hire them. Visa work programs are just CORP WELFARE. Nothing more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon