Reply to post:

US govt ups minimum H-1B tech salaries to $208,000 a year, more than startups can hope to afford, say VCs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I first ran into H-1B visa workers in the first half of the 1990s at a large telecom. The Immigration Act of 1990 was the law that actually created H-1B visas. My company was a pioneer in abusing the law. I saw more and more Indian workers arrive, but at the time I attributed it solely to the Indian directors, one of whom had his wife as a direct report. These workers were indentured servants, working until midnight or even later. Then management would ding us because we actually wanted to go home in the evening.

I ran into them again at my next company, circa 2001. An Indian promoter was trying his best to convince management to hire his team to do major software development, with almost no one in the US. I raised the issue of the time difference, but management only saw dollar signs (of alleged savings).

The H-1B system should be returned to its original purpose, allowing very smart people to add to the US, and not the corporate welfare system it has become. All candidates should have a minimum of a MS degree from a reputable school.

Trump has the morals of an alleycat and is the boss from hell, but this restriction on H-1B visas is welcome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon