Reply to post:

Google reCAPTCHA service under the microscope: Questions raised over privacy promises, cookie use

bombastic bob Silver badge
Pirate

In most cases, I only have to click a checkbox marked I am not a robot;

My experience has demonstrated that CAPTCHA does NOT like you to use non-chromium browsers.

* Nearly every time I use firefox, I have trouble with as many as half of the captchas

* Specifically, the captchas that involve a slow fade-out and slow-fade in of a picture you might need to click because of an object on it *ALWAYS* *FAIL* whenever I use Firefox. This has been going on (sometimes worse, sometimes just bad) for ABOUT A YEAR now.

* There does NOT seem to be any kind of reasonable feedback or customer service contact on this [I have tried, in one case an e-mail address]

* Using FreeBSD and/or Firefox should _NOT_ make you "suspect" nor cause you to get "nothing but the hard ones that require a screen magnifier to solve and involve more than 2 'next/verify' buttons"

* NOT having "the most bleeding edge browser" should _NOT_ make you "suspect" [and it should STILL WORK PROPERLY]

* rejecting 3rd party cookies or setting 'private browsing mode' should NOT make you "suspect"

I have seen government services for the state of California actually USE CAPTCHA which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING because of this sort of thing.

I have also been waiting for a chance to RANT about this where someone else might actually CONFIRM it independently. I do frequent a particular web site that uses captcha to control user posts to (try to) prevent abuse. So I'm basically FORCED to USE CHROMIUM for this.

(but I have great hacks in place to prevent everything I do from being tracked by "that one browser" that doesn't have noscript or cookie blocking or private browsing or any OTHER mitigating 'thing' and I use a script to DUMP ALL HISTORY which is comprehensive and seems to work just fine...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon