Reply to post: Re: What's wrong with stuff that works????

X.Org is now pretty much an ex-org: Maintainer declares the open-source windowing system largely abandoned

Gary Stewart

Re: What's wrong with stuff that works????

"And what about grub versus grub2 - grub had a config. file you could read, and I could remember the boot commands from memory. "

I use a custom version 40_custom in grub.d which can have (more or less) the same complexity and the readability of the original GRUB configuration. You need to delete some of the other files in grub.d: 10_linux, 20_linux_xen, 30_os-prober, and 30_uefi-firmware (I save them in a backup directory in grub.d first, just in case) that may override 40_custom or add to grub.cfg when update-grub is automatically run after kernel updates. The biggest downside is that you have to edit 40_custom to match the kernel version when an update changes it and then run update-grub before you reboot. And you have to manually add any OSs for dual boot just like the original grug.cfg. I haven't done this with UEFI boot with GPT partitions yet so I have no idea at this time what if anything else is required to make that work.

I can post an example of a custom multi-boot 40_custom if you like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon