Reply to post: Re: Qualified Electrician?

Did I or did I not ask you to double-check that the socket was on? Now I've driven 15 miles, what have we found?

adam 40 Silver badge

Re: Qualified Electrician?

I had a qualified electrician install a new fuse box with half on an RCD.

Whenever anything was plugged into the RCD side it would trip out, the electrician blamed leakage in the house wiring, as it was old I took at face value, and he moved most of the circuits over to the non-RCD side.

Many years later I needed to install something that required RCD, so this really started bugging me. I put the new circuit on the RCD side and it tripped out immediately on first load. I then purchased a megger and checked the other circuits out, OK there was leakage but only microamps @240V. Something fundamental was wrong here.

After a bit of head scratching and inspection of the fuse box I found the problem: the original qualified electrician had installed the sense wires for the RCD the wrong way around - so it would trip on any load at all! Sense wires back in the right way, all was well, and mains circuits could now be RCD'ed.

Lesson leaned: a degree in Electronic Engineering trumps a HNC in Electrical Engineering...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon