Reply to post: Long drive to switch on a Wyse 50 terminal for a very, very important solicitor

Did I or did I not ask you to double-check that the socket was on? Now I've driven 15 miles, what have we found?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Long drive to switch on a Wyse 50 terminal for a very, very important solicitor

The Wyse 50 had its mains switch on a bezel on the front at keyboard level. The keyboard, when moved and makes contact with the bezel, would turn the terminal off.

Virtually every morning we would get a fault call where a cleaner had moved the keyboard and inadvertently turned the terminal off or people tidying the desk at the end of the evening did the same thing. Usually a quick conversation would have the terminal turned back on and everyone would be happy.

Not this so important solicitor who simply wouldn’t try what a lowly support person asked no matter how I reasoned with him and how long it would take to get there so four hours later I turn up in Aberdeen, having driven from Glasgow, and have to wait as he is with a client.

His staff are friendly, cup of coffee and biscuit supplied. Taking to them it was obvious they all thought the guy was the type of person who rhymed with Rick.

Anyway the time came and I got to walk into his office, turn on the terminal and walk out without saying a word. He complained to my boss about my conduct but as he thought his name was also Rick nothing came of it. Or was it Rick with a silent “p”.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon