Reply to post: Re: BAE SYSTEMS' SECURITY

Software engineer leaked UK missile system secrets and refused to hand cops his passwords, Old Bailey told

Electronics'R'Us
Holmes

Re: BAE SYSTEMS' SECURITY

As with any other company that handles classified information, (see List X) there are controls on just what can go on machines (and servers) that connect to the external internet and secret (and above) is not permitted. Even on those servers, user access is pretty fine grained.

From what I can see in the article, this chap wrote the emails with the details from memory presumably using his own email account (which is, no doubt, why they wanted the passcodes).

His downhill spiral would very probably have been noticed and SC (possibly DV but that is both expensive and takes a long time to get) clearance likely revoked - if that happened then he would not have been permitted continued access to any of that information after that and could easily lead to him getting fired (clearance required and now not held by him).

I have seen some rather odd things; even renewing SC costs money and sometimes (for cost reasons) it is not renewed if the person involved has no reason to have continued access to secret material. I know one person who could not read a report he had written as he no longer held an SC.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon