Reply to post: Re: Let's be honest

RIAA DMCAs GitHub into nuking popular YouTube video download tool, says it's used to slurp music

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Re: Let's be honest

> Did the EFF's claim of, "a world of lawful usages," include any examples perhaps?

We dont have to tax our imagination too hard. Here are just a few examples of very commonly practiced reasons for downloading from youtube:

1. Your internet is crap most of the time but it gets better during the day when you are at work. When you get home, you can barely watch anything, caching all the time, kids screaming for bandwidth. Well, you have cron on your linux box run youtube-dl to download the latest vids from your subscriptions. Yes, many people have very slow internet, I still go to work with people who think having 1Mb/s is normal.

2. You wish to debunk some crap that some idiot said about 5G. You want to use the DCMA's own "fair use" exemptions to allow you to incorporate reasonable length segments of the offending video. Somehow you need to import it into your NLE. How????

3. The video is licensed under a CC license permitting redistribution and perhaps modification. I wonder how we can pull it out of youtube.

4. You are a datahoarder. You download everything, cant help it. Your kind will be the saviours of human culture after the zombie apocalypse.

5. You are downloading a public domain work.

6. You are downloading your own videos as the youtube method is now slow and inconvenient after their yearly UI update that everyone hates.

7. You are an archivist, see datahoarder only without the need to hoard.

Shall we do cars next? They are used to kill people, kidnap children and run drugs but I think we can find a few legitimate uses for a car, if we try really hard we may be able to keep using them dont your think?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon