Reply to post: Re: Move to Wayland?

'This was bigger than GNOME and bigger than just this case.' GNOME Foundation exec director talks patent trolls and much, much more

deep_enigma

Re: Move to Wayland?

I don't really care one way or the other about "a whole remote desktop in a local window", but I *do* want to remotely access the entire remote console GUI workspace that has many browser windows and shell windows each with many tabs open on tasks in progress, times several desktops for different task groupings. Just logging in to all the servers I touch on a regular basis would occupy 30-45 minutes of my day, never mind the time lost to manually reconstructing all of the rest of the workspace state.

Shonky as it may be, Windows Remote Desktop utterly destroys anything I've tried on Linux for accessing a remote workspace. I can do *almost* anything over Remote Desktop, on a grotty 2M DSL line, that I can do sitting in front of the console of that remote system. I can barely read email, trying to use VNC (or any similar *nix tool I've tried) to (try to) work in the GUI workspace of a machine that is literally right next to the one I'm "in front of", both connected to the same gigabit switch. The situation is marginally better if I connect to a headless X11 workspace/session, but then I'm stuck with the leftover grottiness ALL THE TIME, including when I'm sitting in front of the machine the headless session is running on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon