Reply to post: Re: HP problems

If you suddenly can't print to your HP Printer from your Mac, you're not alone: Code security cert snafu blamed

Antron Argaiv Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: HP problems

I'm running a salvaged and repaired HP LJ5, here in the Fortress of Solitude (my basement WFH room) and it's just doing a tremendous job. Also for my wife, who's using AirPrint through my Linux system, acting as a print server for her Apple gear.

My work PC runs (corporately managed) Win10 and worked fine until a recent update replaced HP's PCL5 drivers with a newer version which, for some reason unknown to me, borks all printing to the LJ5.

And HP has scrubbed the previous version of the drivers from their website. Luckily, they are available on the Web, thanks to a kind soul who had the foresight to grab them. When the older driver is installed, the LJ5 works just fine off Win10.

I am no longer a fan of HP, and will buy nothing from them. Certainly no printers. They appear to be moving to "Printing as a Service", meaning you have to subscribe to ink deliveries, lest your cartridge "expire". LJ5's don't have that ability, thus the borkage by driver. Or, so my skeptical mind suspects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon