Reply to post: Don't put sensitive stuff on your phone.

Thought the FBI were the only ones able to unlock encrypted phones? Pretty much every US cop can get the job done

MachDiamond Silver badge

Don't put sensitive stuff on your phone.

It seems obvious, but lots of people have their whole life on their phone. Bank accounts, credit card details, mobile pay, etc. They then go on to have them out constantly and unlocked while they digitally play with themselves. If somebody, or a pair of people, can nick your phone while it's unlocked, it's trivial to keep it awake while they give it a good ol' rummage before pitching it, or if it's expensive, flogging it off to a person that sends nice phones in bulk to a family member in some former eastern bloc country to be "recycled". It might wind up in a Schengen market as parts. That's the big worry, not the fuzz.

There are tons of idiots that film themselves doing stupid things than then post them online. Some rapper in California was boasting on social media about how he was able to get a bunch of relief money he wasn't entitled to. It's not too bright to be walking around with the evidence of your crimes in your pocket. The coppers may just have a squizz at your phone off the record before they bother to write up a proper warrant request to be robo-signed by some judge. The official record will then show it was all done properly. If the evidence gets tossed for some reason, it may have pointed to even more evidence that doesn't get thrown out.

My phone has very little on it. A cut down list of phone numbers, no email, no text(got that shut off at the telco) and I used a dedicated satnav rather than the phone. If you want to see photos of my cat doing funny things, have at it. Looking just now, I also have photos of biz cards, prices for things at the DIY, quick snaps of things before I take them apart, blah blah blah. Time to do a big clear out. My tablet is the same way. No SIM and only my photo portfolio and an app for the drone and camera remote control. I see no need to keep my retirement account and investment info on a mobile device. Most of that lives on a drive that isn't contained in my desktop machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon