Reply to post: Why are we paying these people?

Iran sent threatening pro-Trump emails to American Democrats, Russia close behind, says US intelligence

martinusher Silver badge

Why are we paying these people?

Russia Today has a website that's quite well produced that includes a variety of pro-Trump articles. The reason for this is that they seem to fill the site up around the stories they want to tell with pieces written for distribution by well known but invariably fringe people. In these times the most common fringe messages tend to be variations on "Trump is a misunderstood Messiah" and "Covid is a global conspiracy". Hardly voter intimidating stuff.

Iran doesn't seem to have much of an interest one way or another. The most potent propaganda I've seen from that part of the world are personal travel videos from people in the country. They appear to depict a normal sort of a place with life going on just like anywhere else. Its the sort of thing that makes our Secretary of State (Pompero) look really out of sync with the times. My guess is that after years of sanctions regimes countries and their people adapt, they find ways to interact and trade with their neighbors, they're really not at all interested in the 'from the Beltway' perspective (they have their own traffic jams to cope with).

Since we invest a lot of money and resources promoting 'pro-democracy' movements around the world, movements that could be called 'interfering with other countries politics', we shouldn't be surprised to learn that individuals and even governments want to make their voices heard about our politics. I don't know why the Intelligence Services (who are they, anyway?) feel that its a threat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon