Reply to post: Re: @Adelio

Thought the FBI were the only ones able to unlock encrypted phones? Pretty much every US cop can get the job done

codejunky Silver badge

Re: @Adelio

@Symon

"For every time a gun kept in the home is used for a legally justifiable reason, four people are accidentally shot with it, seven people are criminally assaulted or killed, and eleven people try to, or actually, do themselves in."

Not sure you ment to say what you said. You dont mean 4 people accidentally shot with it otherwise people wouldnt have a gun in the home as the standard 2 adult 2 kids would all be shot by 1 gun kept for that houses protection.

"The reason I used the movie example, is that the idea of keeping a firearm for 'home defense' is so counter-productive as to be laughable"

You can laugh and be wrong, that is fine. Violent crime generally being higher in the states with tighter gun laws.

"Look, it's like religion, no-one can convince the zealot with any number of statistics."

Very much so. That is why a gun nut and an anti gun nut can never meet in the middle. Both think they are right.

"I'll wait until you go to hospital after inadvertently shooting yourself before I burgle your house!"

I am not in the US. But I do enjoy shooting. And for you to burgle the house suggests you are criminal which means breaking of the law is ok for you and so will probably come armed, hence justifying an armed defence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon