Reply to post: The default search on the default browser on the default operating system on every PC...

Google screwed rivals to protect monopoly, says Uncle Sam in antitrust lawsuit: We go inside the Sherman parked on a Silicon Valley lawn

_andrew
Coat

The default search on the default browser on the default operating system on every PC...

... is not Google. Yes they have the mobile market mostly stitched up, but that happened long after they were established as far-and-away the best search option.

What do you imagine will happen if Apple are forced to stop accepting Google's placement coin for search defaults? I'd expect that the _only_ effect will be that apple has to raise that extra revenue elsewhere, by putting up their prices: almost everyone will choose Google themselves, given the choice, because the alternatives are worse.

Worst outcome, I expect, will be the death of Firefox, which lives entirely on the income of that default search placement.

I remember the days of Yahoo! curated links and AltaVista. I'll choose Google any day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon