Reply to post: DEC LN03 RS-232 serial line 9600 comm interface Re: Postscript

Has Apple abandoned CUPS, the Linux's world's widely used open-source printing system? Seems so

Never10_use_Puppylinux

DEC LN03 RS-232 serial line 9600 comm interface Re: Postscript

openprinting dot org/printer/DEC/DEC-LN03 I believe it was 9600 baud serial 8 bits 1 stop bit, None parity.

This was a great addition to my home computer system. 286 PC with MSDOS 6.2 ,1 Megabyte of Memory, and GeoWorks Ensemble 2.x?? I could open a GeoDraw program and create an image then print the image with the output being PostScript file sent serially 9600 baud to the COM1: or COM2: port to the Digital Equipment Computer DEC-LN03 printer. This was the cats meow for sure. I bought the printer from a used electronics-recycle store in Downtown Seattle Washington. I saw the GeoWorks Ensemble on the shelf at a Egghead store and bought it for $99 ?? around 1994 or 1995. This was before Windows95 was released. I showed this program to my boss at Datalight with their product ROM-DOS and thought he could sell ROM-DOS 3.0 DOS license to GeoWorks to replace the need for a license for MS-DOS or DR-DOS. This was around the time frame that MS-DOS had some secret code inside so that Windows95 would not run on another competing Disk Operating System (DOS). Yes, Microsoft licensed Windows95 to Computer Manufactures in an exclusive deal and froze out GeoWorks Ensemble from being pre-installed on computer being sold by the manufacture. evil Microsoft.

So I had a true multitasking Operating System, a GUI desktop that could have a couple programs open at the same time. Create a document that I could print on a postscript printer. Time frame 1992-95 (I can't remember back that far exactly when)

Google GeoWorks or GeoWorks Ensemble for some fun history reading

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon