Reply to post: Re: end of on call week

When you're On Call, only you can hear the silence of the clicks

jake Silver badge

Re: end of on call week

That phrase existed long before Alan Jackson was an itch in his daddy's pants ... He didn't write the song anyway, it was written by Jim Brown (no, not that one) and Don Rollins (also not that one).

It was a popular enough phrase for both Herb Caen and Stan Delaplane to use it in their columns in the San Francisco Chronicle at least as early as the late 1940s.

After the festivities in Korea in 1953, my Uncle was mustered out and passed through Pearl Harbo(u)r on the way home. While there, he purchased a rather tacky ceramic statue of a drunk leaning on a lamp post, with the phrase "It's 5 o'clock somewhere!" on the base. He intended it for the bar he was going to build when he got home ... but my Aunt, who was never convinced that the '50s cocktail culture was a good thing, said something resembling "over my dead body!" ... so the statue sat on a shelf over the workbench in his garage for many decades. I asked my cousins for it as a memento when he passed, and it's still sitting on a shelf here in the office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon