Reply to post:

Need a new computer for homeschooling? You can do worse than a sub-£30 2007 MacBook off eBay

Steven Raith

I'll agree that second hand desktops can give a lot more bang for buck, but if you're spending <£100 on a laptop:

A: It'll be of a certain vintage

B: If it's a popular one,being of a certain vintage that means *tons* of teardown tutorials on Youtube

C: Parts will generally be cheap.

Broken screens can be replaced without too much trouble, just a little patience. Same for trackpads. Batteries are cheapy cheap, and the power input? most are on a daughterboard that can be swopped in a fairly straightforward manner.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a twenty year, died in the wool IT tech so I have certain skills and attitudes that make me think things are easier than they are to a layman, but on the flipside, I fucking hate working on laptops - all those fiddle bits - and even I have done literally all of the above, while drunk. if I can do it after a bottle of Merlot while singing along to Death in Vegas songs, you genuinely can too.

Buy something really cheap, and broken, and just try it. Chances are you'll spend a takeaway dinner and an evening in the pub on it.

Worst case, you have a brick on your hands, but have learned something.

Best case, you can charge beer for swapping screens out.

Steven R