Reply to post: Nook, snook

Confirmed: Barnes & Noble hacked, systems taken offline for days, miscreants may have swiped personal info

James O'Shea

Nook, snook

I bailed from Nook many years ago when B&N:

1 killed the Nook in the UK, making me nervous about Nook's future

2 killed the Nook non-Windows Store app, effectively killing Nook on my Win 7 systems

3 killed the Nook app on Macs, period.

I declined to download the Windows Store version for Win 10 as I don't have a Windows Store login and have no desire to get one. And I lacked confidence in Nook's future. I deleted Nook from my iOS devices, in part because I lacked confidence in Nook's future and because I was thoroughly annoyed at their killing Nook for Mac and Nook for non-Windows Store without warning. I had very little Nook content, all of which was, thankfully, downloaded on Win 7 and Mac systems. Withe the death of non-Win Store and Mac Nook, B&N couldn't delete my content (they tried...) and in any case I had backups. I de-DRMed all B&N content (usually in calibre) and fed it to other ebook reader systems, including caibre, Apple's iBooks, and Marvin on iOS. I find it facinating that B&N could no longer afford to support non-Win Store Windows and Mac, but could, somehow, support iOS (badly, Nook on iOS had numerous bugs which I'd reported over a period of years but which were never fixed, not while I still had a copy installed, anyway) and Android (don't use Droid, a FanDroid might have an opinion on Nook there.)

At one point I was in the local brick-and-mortar B&N at least once a week, buying books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, other things. I had one of their little loyalty cards and earned lots of discounts for all the purchasing I did.I haven't set foot in a B&N store since last year, just before Christmas, and I didn't buy anything then, I haven't bought anything from B&N in nearly two years now. I buy ebooks, mostly, and I buy from Apple and Amazon, mostly. I used to buy DVDs from Best Buy; they're killing their DVD shelving. Congrats, B&N, you sent a lot of business to Apple and Amazon. (Best Buy is doing the same...)

Let's see how long they last before they go bust.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon