Reply to post: Re: Yawn, same as the all the others but faster

It's that time of the year when Apple convinces you last year's iPhones weren't quite magical enough, so buy this new 5G iPhone 12 instead

Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Yawn, same as the all the others but faster

For high fidelity music, you'd want to choose a phone with a good DAC and amp... LG are famous for including such goodies, but oddly not the LG Velvet

The DAC and amp in the Apple Lightening > 3.5mm adaptor is said to be very good (and it's cheap) but others are available ranging from cheap to audiophile. So you don't have to take a hit on audio quality if you don't want to.

Yeah, using a dongle can be inconvenient if you want to charge the phone at the same time as using wired headphones and you don't have a wireless charger to hand.

I use a micro SD card in my Galaxy phone, but one can only really use it for storing music and app data (put it in phone and leave it there) or for juggling data between phone and cameras (often swap it in and out) - but not both. Attempting to do so confuses apps and music music data bases. For importing data from a camera, a USB C > SD card reader is a safer option, and full size SD cards are harder to fumble and lose. Carry such a dongle in a laptop or camera back is no hardship.

I can see someone using using a phone as a data repository - because though we carry them with us everywhere, we do tend to be mindful of them so are less likely to misplace them than we would an SD card.... but if redundancy is key then copying to two SD cards and keeping one in wallet and one in suitcase is also an option.

I'm not saying your way of doing things is the wrong way, just that there are other ways of achieving the same end results - with perhaps different pros and cons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon