Reply to post: "in the future everyone will be able to design a custom CPU in fifteen minutes."

Intel celebrates security of Ice Lake Xeon processors, so far impervious to any threat due to their unavailability

diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"in the future everyone will be able to design a custom CPU in fifteen minutes."

I don't want to sound like a RISC-V fanatic and also go off-topic on an Intel story, but..

If you pop over to the SiFive website, it has an in-browser processor designer that allows you to configure pretty much what you're asking for: the number of RISC-V CPU cores, the security and integrity check features, various cache sizes and arrangements, the level of floating-point support, bus interfaces, branch prediction, interrupts, etc.

When you're done, the site generates an FPGA bitstream for you to evaluate the processor core(s) on your own board, or the RTL to produce a custom ASIC. There are T&Cs depending on the complexity of the design, and if you go too high end, the site will tell you to contact sales rather than emit design files.

Anyway, it's not exactly what you wanted, and it's not completely flexible, but it's just something I wanted to mention as an example of the chip world going in that way -- and SiFive wants to expand its in-browser tool.

I've used it to generate a simple processor for an FPGA.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon