Reply to post: Check your facts, please

'20,000-plus staff' could face the chop in spin-off of IBM's IT outsourcing biz, says Wall Street analyst

Tony Gathercole ...

Check your facts, please

It's been a while since I was an insider with IBM GTS, but I think that while there were some very troubled contracts within the GTS parts of IBM (I should know as I was part of the team that did performance reviews on SO and ITS contracts for ten years) - and indeed a few that went really sour and were terminated and / or ended up in court - they typically were not the deals that are occasionally reported here in El Reg.

In most cases these big contracts were systems integration, application development or managed process services contracts that would have been led by parts of the organisation that are being retained within what remains of IBM. Sometimes they would use GTS as internal subcontractors but my take is what mostly went wrong was at levels above the core infrastructure that GTS would have been involved in delivering.

And, for what it's worth, in my experiecene (and YMMV) there were many, many GTS contracts which were simply successful for both IBM and the customer. There are not many good Register headlines in deals that delivered what the customer wanted, at a cost that they were willing to pay and to acceptable levels of service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon