Reply to post: Comcast user here

Comcast’s president of tech falls offline while boasting about how great cable is for connectivity

Antron Argaiv Silver badge
Thumb Up

Comcast user here

I live about 25 miles west of Boston (MA, USA). I have had cable internet in this town ever since it was a "thing"30 years ago (it has been supplied by Comcast for the past 20, at least). As much as I like to run down Comcast, I really can't complain about the stability of their service. I currently have "up to" 100Mb down/25 up for around $70/mo. Not a great value for money, but, whatever.

My gripes about them are few: the connection does tend to disappear at random times, often first thing in the morning, and though I haven't verified it, it seems to be network maintenance or an upload of new firmware to my (compatible by personally owned) modem. A power cycle usually fixes this, but it's annoying to wake up to no internet.

The bandwidth is a bigger issue. "Up to" means just that, and it's often less. Sometimes, for an hour or so, the "tubes" will get clogged and the throughput will slow to a crawl. But that, too, is infrequent. I've been WFH since March and have never had an outage that prevented me from working. Pretty good so far. I do not have TV or phone service through them. My wired phone is OOMA, and works well (except when the power goes out, of course). I do have a UPS and I have found that if I can keep my modem and router up, I do have internet during power outages...for how long, I haven't tested.

Now, as to service. If you ever need to call them for anything, my advice is: "Don't". I have rarely had a good experience here. Often, several return calls are necessary for non-technical issues, usually billing or changes. And keep the receipts for any equipment you return. They do tend to claim that you haven't returned things...so reliable is this, that it almost appears to be a bit of a scam to collect free money.

Overall, I'd give them a 3/5. They'd get 4/5 if they'd give me 500Mb down and 100Mb up for $70, and 5/5 if they'd provide customer service on a par with Digikey or LL Bean (my two examples of absolutely top notch customer service)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon