Reply to post: Re: Comparison

Eight release candidates later and it's out: New hardware and more AMD in Linux 5.9

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Comparison

7-year-old scanner - yep

web cam - yep

Quadro GPU acceleration API support - Yep, vendor and Noveau I believe

multifunction printer - yep

pro inkjet - yep

digitizing tablet -yep

wireless mouse and keyboard - yep

docking station with extended port support; -yep, and handled the dreaded TB16 better than Windows too.

fingerprint scanner - Some do, now both Dell and Lenovo are selling Linux laptops this is coming for those that aren't supported yet.

color-calibrated 4k display - Standards be standards.

built-in hardware color calibrator; external hardware color calibrator; calibration software - Never tried two NVMe SSD's plus a SATA SSD - yep.

the latter being accelerated by the OEM-supplied RAM cache driver - Probably, or it does it itself anyway.

proprietary power and thermal manager - I've not found one that it couldn't talk to yet, nor IPMI.

multi touch trackpad- yep.

plus pointer stick - yep.

tethered MILC camera capable of supplying Live View - Web says it can.

MB1 support enabled to allow talking to older SMB devices, most Linux-based but will never see a kernel update to enable SMB2 - Been SMB3 since Kernel 3.12.

support for a device connected via a USB-to-Ethernet bridge - Connected to a switch I'm working on like that right now.

In fact, running both Linux and Windows on the desktop I've found that most stuff will work in either quite happily, and the stuff that doesn't (like some fingerprint readers) is being ported as Lenovo and Dell sell more Linux based laptops.

There's plenty to like and dislike between the two, but the argument that Linux is just for servers has not been true for many years, and let's face it, there's a a good probability that Windows is going to become just another desktop manager running on a Linux Kernel like KDE or Gnome in the next decade! :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon