Reply to post: Don't dis Access :-)

Excel is for amateurs. To properly screw things up, those same amateurs need a copy of Access

ForthIsNotDead
Thumb Up

Don't dis Access :-)

In 2006 I wrote a timesheet management system with a web front end (classic ASP) and an Access back end. Contractors enter their work hours into the system and it generates their invoices for them and they get paid. It's very simple. It doesn't tie into the office back-office systems or any of that nonsense. The office staff look at the contractor-generated hours/invoice, validate the hours, pay them, and mark the invoice as paid.

They all love it because it's simple, doesn't require anyone to install any software, and works in the browser on desktop and mobile devices.

They are still using it. It's survived numerous server upgrades over the years but its still running just fine. Yeah, I should have used SQL server or something, but they wanted something cheap. And since it's been running so long there is no way they'll pay for it to be upgraded to a different backend! Their argument: "It's been running for 14 years. There's nothing wrong with it!"

If I ever do get tasked with upgrading it, since it's all really simple Access tables, it will be a piece of cake.

I'm quite fond of Access to be fair. Though I never used it for the Forms/VBA stuff ever. Just used it as a data store and query engine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon