Reply to post:

Excel is for amateurs. To properly screw things up, those same amateurs need a copy of Access

My-Handle

While it might not be the best tool for the job, sometimes it's the only one you're allowed to get your hands on.

Back in my own "amateur" days, I was tasked by a manager to create a piece of software to manage regularly occurring tasks (think regular reviews for customers). It was a little more complicated than that, but not much more. Something that was just out of Excel's reach. Now, I did put in a request for access to an instance of SQL (in whatever form), but I was denied. So I put an access data file on the network share, protected it every way I knew how, and then made a "client" file that I could distribute to my team-mate's machines (almost entirely consisting of VBA code and a form for the front-end). I freely admit it was a very janky setup, but it was made to work with the tools I had available. It increased the output of the team three-fold. It also was my gateway into actual IT work.

Access has it's place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon