Reply to post: Encryption is an existential anchor of trust in the digital world

Five Eyes nations plus Japan, India call for Big Tech to bake backdoors into everything

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Encryption is an existential anchor of trust in the digital world

Problem is that trust is gone, and not only in digital world, but everywhere. Sadly, I no longer trust any public institutions or businesses that they act in MY best interest. I absolutely trust they act in THEIR best interest, and if something goes wrong, it's ME who's the casualty / collateral damage. The only thing that keeps me in the "system" is that I have no choice (other than going off grid or ending my life).

So, do I trust the businesses that their encryption is designed so that it really protects me from 3rd parties' access, and they don't abuse their power to gain access themselves, or sell it to someone, or screw is so that someone gains this access? Or do I trust "trusted 3rd parties", which is, basically, government agencies that they really use their "privileged" access only for legal and genuine purposes, when those very agencies define and shift those legal and genuine purposes - as fits their current goals?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon