Reply to post: Unions

Google contractor HCL America accused of retaliating against unionized techies by shifting US jobs to Poland

Adelio

Unions

I live in the UK.

I have Only been a member of a union once, and that was against my will.

I hark back to 1976 when i got a job at a printers. At the time you HAD to join the SOGAT UNION as the place was a close shop.

Later on I had a job at a rivet makers. I was NOT a union member. The Unions were still quite strong and the shop steward decided to call his member out. Without bothering with a Vote.

As a NONE union member I declined the offer of joining the "brothers" and went through the lines.

I never had any qualms about ignoring the UNION. I had too many years previous watching the unions trying to run the country. Three days weeks, Electricty brown outs, The rantings of "Red Ken" at Ford. Arthur Scargill was a real piece of work and eventually managed to destroy the coal mining industry in the UK.

After so much good being done by the unions at the beggining of their life they finally decended into Farce. You know what they say, Power Corrupts, Absolute power....

The UK seems to be a bit (or a lot) better than the USA with unions and their behaviour.. But everyone should have the right to join a union.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon