Reply to post: Re: Insulation~Not all insulation is equal...

Wind and quite a bit of fog shroud Boris Johnson's energy vision for the UK

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Insulation~Not all insulation is equal...

I believe "rockwall" is what left-pondians call the product we know as plasterboard.

Anything less like a wall made of rock is difficult to imagine. It's horrid, flimsy, friable stuff and I've banned it from my house (except in one specific area, and I'm beginning to regret even that) in favour of an engineered product called Fermacel which, unlike plasterboard where you need an expanding, board-clamping plug and a chunky screw just to hang the latest school photograph, you can feasibly hang 20kg from a single screw driven in without a plug at all.

We built a shelf intended to hold a small water tank. It is fixed between two walls, one of which is block, the other Fermacel. The Fermacel side is screwed on using five woodscrews, only one of which hits a stud. It comfortably holds a grown man, as proven by my mate who - before we'd built the thing - was worried that it wouldn't stand up to the 20kg or so of the operational water tank, so once we'd finished he decided to climb up and sit on it.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon