Reply to post: Re: I think Lenovo is right

Death of the PC? Do me a favour, says Lenovo bigwig: 'I'm expecting the biggest growth in a decade... for 2021'

TonyJ

Re: I think Lenovo is right

"...The articles focus is obviously corporate buyers. Windows 10 is the default OS for corporate PCs now. We just rolled it out to over 2500 employees and the reaction was not at all bad from the user perceptive.

As much as the NIX crowd would love for there to be a usable NIX OS on the corporate desktop it just does not seem to be anywhere near the point of happening. Microsoft owns the office suite space along with the corporate email space. As much as we all would love an alternative there just isn't one. LibreOffice just does not cut it. Excel has just to much BI functionality that LibreCalc doesn't. Also, there is not a replacement for Outlook on a NIX desktop, Evolution is a buggy POS, Thunderbird doesn't fully work without some hacks. You cannot ask people to give up the tools they have used to decades just because you don't want to pay a license to MS..."

Totally agree.

And with Azure / Office 365 (M365 Apps as they are now as well) and the close integration of them all it is even more in MS's favour.

Store a document for collaborative working in Teams? Well that'll be backed off to OneDrive or SharePoint Online and accessible across devices even just a browser.

Someone mashed said document? Roll it back a version or two.

Don't want an on-premise domain infrastructure*? Fine - you can use Autopilot and InTune to manage Windows 10 devices as trivirally as if they were a mobile phone.

Of course all of these things require an ongoing subscription to Microsoft but we all knew that was where they were heading but the point is for the vast majority of ordinary (corporate) users it just works and works together.

For the ordinary domestic user - they will use whatever comes on the PC they bought from Dell or in PCW Currys as long as it looks like what they use at work or used to use before the new one they are buying.

Inertia is a very powerful force here.

*Granted it's easier with a greenfields site but the hybrid is heading more towards this every day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon