Reply to post: Racism is racism

Microsoft: After we said we'll try to promote more Black people, the US govt accused us of discrimination

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Racism is racism

"5. The approach to apply positive discrimination to correct negative discrimination until there's no discrimination does not become racism just because racists say so. The more intelligent definitions of racism expressly deny that there even can be a thing like racism against a privileged majority. Racism always works against underprivileged minorities in that they stay underprivileged minorities. Something like that cannot even happen to the privileged majority."

Racism is being treated differently based on your race, and this "more intelligent definition" is nonsensical and itself racist.

The US population is not all homogenized, so you can be a member of any race and go into neighborhoods where (in that neighborhood) you are the minority and possibly subject to racism (I've gotten off pretty light, worst I got was a few hispanic gentleman saying "Hey Santa Claus!!" as I went by... I do have the build, and the beard, as well as the skin color though so maybe that wasn't actually racist.). Here in Iowa (midwest US), people are almost excessively polite so about the worst you'd get is someone being "Iowa nice" (instead of saying "Hello, how you doing?" as someone walks by, you look up but don't say anything...) (Despite what my somewhat racist friend thinks... he's sure he's not racist but also sure that if he goes to "those neighborhoods", as a white guy in a mostly-black neighborhood he'll be robbed and stabbed. Actually go to those neighborhoods, there's just kids out playing basketball and riding bicycles and (weather permitting) adults out barbecuing.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon