Reply to post: "AD requires a CAL which means its not financially viable"

Big Tech to face its Ma Bell moment? US House Dems demand break-up of 'monopolists' Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"AD requires a CAL which means its not financially viable"

Antitrust laws doesn't mean you have to get your goodies for free. You can build whole networks using LDAP instead of AD, for example, or use a Samba domain controller, for which you have to pay no CALs.

Skype is no longer dominant. GitHub is - but in a different way than Google Search for example, or WhatsApp. Even StackOverflow is dominant, today. But I have all my code on my private servers without issues, while it's a bit difficult to replicate a serch engine locally, or run you own messaging platform.

"Microsoft is the all-seeing-eye"

Can it read GMail mails and Facebook messages? That's a privacy issue, anyway, not an antitrust one.

"They obviously never had to buy an OEM license back in the day just to own a PC."

They have been near breakup in 1996, did you forget it? You really have to bring back an issue of thirty years ago? Can I buy a Apple product without an Apple OS - or install an Apple OS on a device of my choice, or get a phone with no operating system installed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon