Reply to post: Re: Staples

There ain't no problem that can't be solved with the help of American horsepower – even yanking on a coax cable

slimshady76
Facepalm

Re: Staples

I've already written about my first foray as a SysAdmin back at the early 90s, at the Dean's office of my local Uni. The network was a small spool of coax cable stretched on a bus of 7-8 PCs and a Novell Netware server. No fancy tech trays near the ceiling ir dedicated wall mounts there, just a small metal tray (enough for one coax cable) running above the skirt board.

It all worked awesome until someone would move the coax from behind the computer desks and it would become jammed beneath the cart wheels in the office chairs. Easy peasy, replace a length of coax, crimp the terminals and call the day off.

At the start of the winter, the network went down and I couldn't for the mother of $DEITY find the faulty coax segment. Until I started crawling my way from the Netware server down to the first PC in the bus, only to find someone had pulled the cable from its tray and placed it over a gas heater. The minute the Dean's secretary came in from the chilly morning and set it on, the coax's core melted and the network went down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon