Reply to post: Re: FFS!

UK privacy watchdog confirms probe into NHS England COVID-19 app after complaints of spammy emails, texts

Lee D Silver badge

Re: FFS!

Starts there.

Ends up with the ludicrous situation in America where everyone's phones in the entire state ring with an un-blockable alert at 3am because a missing child on the border at the other side of the state MAY be in that state.

It's all a worthy cause. Sure. Until you get such alerts every night, can't turn them off, and are never in a position to do anything to aid anyway, being 1000 miles away from where they were last seen.

Fact is: Law says no. Emergencies do not override laws without emergency laws to change them.

And when it involves my personal data, and trust of proper use of that data, it's actually counterproductive - as the guy says "I'll just remove my data then so you can't use it at all" because there's no proper unsubscribe.

If the NHS cannot protect my personal data from use in unsolicited marketing, then you have a big problem there, before you even consider what feature-creep will result in in ten year's time if it's left unchecked. Just because of something that's a non-essential part of a no-longer-emergency situation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon