Reply to post: Re: Good reason not to upgrade

Who watches the watchers? Samsung does so it can fling ads at owners of its smart TVs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Good reason not to upgrade

"Next time you shop for something and have a choice between two similarly priced brands there's a non-zero chance you'll chose the one you saw in an ad,"

Yes, *negative non-zero chance*. As I skip the one with annoying ad. Every time, no exceptions.

" not because you remember the ad"

Just because I do remember the ad and the brand and despise them. I'm very, very good at remembering despicable products and brands.

"but because you somehow have a good feeling about it. Research shows we're helpless against this. Ads works."

That's what what the ad-men believe. They *have to*, literally. But of course remembering a product as shit doesn't mean I'll buy it, ever.

"somehow have a good feeling about it." is literal bullshit: Advertising works literally both ways and anyone who isn't total nincompoop knows it.

"Ads work" at selling stuff to people who are buying in any case *and* don't know anything about markets, i.e. competitors. And are too lazy to find out. All other cases are a fail. But "work" in a loose sense of the word.

Advertising a product I won't buy, no matter what, is wasted money for advertiser and just annoys me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon