Reply to post: Re: Welcome to the cd Electron app

It's 2020 so not only is your mouse config tool a Node.JS Electron app, it's also pwnable by an evil webpage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to the cd Electron app

I fear so. There is a sustained theme of inappropriate choices of language for many projects. Systemd is of course a horrible pile of manure in concept, execution and success, but to cap it all off they chose to write it in C. Now C is a systems language, but systemd is not an OS kernel and might have used something other than the language that is hardest to get things right in. Rust would nowadays be a far superior option (there's even just such a project here), but back then even just using C++11 (or even older C++ and Boost) with smart pointers would have been viable and a whole lot more straightforward than C.

I've seen various many projects in my time where the overriding reason to pick a particular language was "because it'll be fun", not important reasons associated with efficiency, support, etc.

My 2 cents worth for the modern era: systems and native code: Rust. Web (if we must): Typescript. There's no real place for Java, C# I think now, Rust has most of the same benefits, an expanding and well thought out ecosystem, and doesn't need a runtime. Anyone who mentions "dynamic languages like Python" ought to be shot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon