Reply to post:

With so many cloud services dependent on it, Azure Active Directory has become a single point of failure for Microsoft

Peter2 Silver badge

Allow me to correct that; Only somebody with a paid job in IT runs windows on a server.

And we tend to run it because the company picks a software solution and says "we want to run this because it's going to save us X". Running this bit of software is then the requirement. This runs on Windows Server, because no commercial software is written for anything else. We then buy Windows server to run it.

If I turned around to the management and said that "running Windows is uncool and so we run Y instead, and so can't run the productivity software you want so you'll have to do it manually" then i'd be fired and my replacement would be doing what the management want to do, which is to make money.

And Windows server can be setup to run in a fairly stable manner with a sensible architecture if somebody competent does it. If somebody incompetent manages it then it's going to be setup insecurely, unreliably and with no backups or failovers. Just the same as any other type of server.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon