Reply to post: Re: Living in the box

Flying camera drones, cuddly Echo gadgets... it's all a smoke screen for Amazon to lead you gently down the Sidewalk – and you'll probably like it

NightFox

Re: Living in the box

I actually think this addresses a gap in remotely-monitored home security systems that doesn't occur to most people until their systems are up and running. Getting a notification that there's movement in your lounge when you're on holiday 2000 miles away is good, but then what do you do? You've got no way of knowing whether it's somebody breaking into your house or a spider walking across a sensor. Asking your mate to check it when he gets home from work isn't really going to achieve much. Sticking multiple CCTV camera up is one option, but a deployable CCTV camera like this is actually a much neater solution - even if the burglar does grab it out of the air and smash it, you still know it's a genuine alarm and can call the police or whoever. And the police will rightly prioritise a "burglary in progress" much higher than a "I've just got home from holiday and discovered I've been burgled*" call, where the horse has already bolted so to speak and - public expectation aside - there's very little justification for any urgency in the response over other more urgent queued responses.

Or 'burglarized' as Americans obscurely seem to insist on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon