Reply to post: Re: It helps to have the world's wussiest burglar break into your house...

Flying camera drones, cuddly Echo gadgets... it's all a smoke screen for Amazon to lead you gently down the Sidewalk – and you'll probably like it

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: It helps to have the world's wussiest burglar break into your house...

I think their theory is that, while you're trying to find something with which to knock it out of the air, it's sending your picture off to the cloud and nearby police. This picture will be used by the police to arrest someone who looks a little like you or maybe nothing like you and by Amazon to recommend new tools for breaking and entering when you sign into your Amazon account.

I do kind of want a small drone; it's in that category of things I don't really know what to do with but there must be something useful because they're cool. I wouldn't buy something like this for the life of me because the drone is only useful [fun] if I can program it to fly exactly how I direct, photograph what I tell it to, and deliver the video to the system I define and no others. I have no confidence that Amazon would let me do any of this. Worse, from their privacy record, I expect my data to be stored forever with dubious access control and that both my past footage and the drone itself will be instantly available to police without any justification whatsoever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon